Sherry is a complex wine with lots of terroir, tradition, and winemaking possibilities. In episode 495, we go over the stats on the region, the history, the terroir, and details on winemaking, including the solera system. We then describe the biologically aged wines – Fino and Manzanilla.
This show is a continuation of episode 495 but after listening to the show I did with MC Ice, I realized it was too meandering, so I recorded this version on my own.
This second part of the Sherry refresh has many aspects to it, and I do my best to be as clear as possible with it all. Here are the topics we cover:
- First, I give a 5 minute review of Sherry winemaking.
- I explain, anew, the biological aging process and then explain the Oxidative aging process of Olorosos and other wines
- I explain, in greater detail, the “in between” styles – Amontillado and Palo Cortado, which have been made by a combination of biological and oxidative aging but are slightly different
I talk about the three categories of Sherry styles:
- Vinos Generosos: the dry styles of Sherry – Fino, Manzanilla, Amontillado, Palo Cortado, Oloroso
- Vino dolces Naturales: Pedro Ximénez, Moscatel
- Vinos Generosos de Licor: Pale Cream, Medium, Cream Sherries
I discuss the aging categories, which have been effect since 2000:
- VOS: Vinum Optimum Signatum or Very Old Sherry that has been in a solera for 20 years
- VORS: Vinum Optimum Rare Signatum or Very Old Rare Sherry that has been in a solera for 30+ years
I wrap with some small changes to the DO that happened this year, sent to me by Patron Chaim G (thanks to Chaim!).
I give a thanks to the mixologists for keeping Sherry alive and then sign off!
Here is the show with Tio Pepe I mentioned… Ep 249: Revisiting Sherry with Andrew Sinclair of Tio Pepe
Full show notes are on Patreon. Become a member today!
Most information for the show from the Jerez DO
I love my exclusive sponsor, Wine Access, my go-to source for the best selection of interesting, outstanding quality wines you can’t find locally. The holidays are almost upon us — don’t forget to stock up for your holiday feasts and get a Wine Access gift card for everyone in your life! Get 10% your first order with my special URL.
To register for an AWESOME, LIVE WFNP class with Elizabeth go to: http://www.winefornormalpeople.com/classes